Canada Extends Deadline for Application of Post-Graduation Work Permit

Foreigners who intend to stay in Canada using a Post-Graduation Work Permit can now apply within the next six months after obtaining their graduation notice and can no longer have access to a valid study permit. These changes, as well as other changes made to the Post Graduate Work Permit, were announced by the Canadian Government on the 14th of February. The new application time frame is twice of what was used in the past; currently, 180 days compared to the previous time frame of 90 days.

Other Changes Made

Asides the time extension, another change that was made was the removal of the availability of a valid study permit as one of the requirements for international students during the time of application for a PGWP. The Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has announced that in this new amendment, the international student’s study permit must have been valid even once during the period of 180 days which the graduates have been given to submit their applications.

A Study Permit

A study permit is usually issued to international students to cover the entire period of their academic session. The removal of a valid study permit as a requirement is going to give students sufficient time to gather all the needed documents for application without worrying about the expiry date of their study permits.

The Post-Graduation Work Permit

This is an open work permit which gives foreign graduates from eligible institutions in Canada the warrant to work and reside in the country for over three years after graduation. For graduates to be qualified for this program, their program of study must have lasted for a minimum period of eight months. The Post-Graduation Work Permit is good as it does not require international students to have an offer of employment in the country during the time of application to be eligible. Since it is an open work permit, holders are eligible for any available work in Canada and can move on to a different job at their discretion. IRCC has pointed out that having experience in any skilled work in the country, which is among the jobs rated skill level A or B, or which is rated skill type 0 in the National Occupational Classification of Canada can boost the graduate’s chances of qualifying for a Permanent Residence under the Canadian Experience Class.

Canadian Experience Class

This is one of the three classes under the Federal High Skilled Program, a program controlled by the Express Entry System of Canada. Stay connected to Visa Weekly to get updates on Visa and Immigration news from Australia, Canada, Europe, the UK and, the US! We will also assist for the better visa process. Please approach us for the smooth and quick visa process.

Share your Comments

Please Login to view/submit Comments & Replys

Hi! How can we help you?

Click below button to start chat

Chat Icon
chat icon